2020 Grinch Ornaments made with Alcohol Ink and Vinyl Decals


A couple years ago, I made an ornament using my Silhouette cutting machine and an alcohol inked plastic ornament. Over the years, I've made many versions of inked globe ornaments, so I wanted to try something a little different this year. It's been a memorable year, so I thought I'd make a commemorative ornament.


I had some plastic globe ornaments in my craft stash. I figured these flatter ornaments would be easier to apply decals to, so I got out some green alcohol ink and a can of air and got to work. I took off the metal hangers on the top of the ornaments and started squirting ink into the interiors of the ornaments.


I started out by coating the ornaments with a lighter shade of green as a base. I used 4-5 drops of Limeade ink and some swirling around with the air can to coat the insides of the ornaments.


Next I dripped a couple drops of Botanical ink into each ornament and blew it around with the canned air until it was dry.


Lastly, I used a few drops of Bottle ink to create some contrast. I accidentally squirted much more than a couple drops into one of the ornaments, so I squirted some rubbing alcohol into the ornament and swirled it around. Then I turned it over and let it drip out onto a napkin. Then I added some of the lighter green back into it until it looked the way I wanted it to. It was still a bit darker than the others, but it was salvageable.


While the ink was drying, I used my Silhouette to cut out some designs. I cut out a Grinch face, a Grinch hand holding an ornament, and some text that said "2020 stink, stank, stunk." I found the face and hand through a quick google search and used a font called Grinched to make the text.


After the designs were cut and weeded (excess vinyl removed), I cut them into their separate designs and cut out some transfer paper tape for the designs with multiple components.


I centered my Grinch face on the paper tape and burnished (rubbed) the vinyl design so it would stick to the tape.


Then I applied the decal to the ornament from the center out. I was surprised that even these flattened globes had quite a bit of curve to them, so some of the vinyl wrinkled a bit.


I rubbed the design down and carefully peeled back the transfer tape to reveal the vinyl decal.


On the next ornament, I made some cuts in the transfer tape to eliminate some of the wrinkling. It worked perfectly.


On the back side, I repeated the process with my other decals. The hand and ornament decal was all one piece, so I applied it without transfer tape. Then I lined the text up next to it with the transfer tape and burnished it onto the ornament. I cut the transfer tape between each line of text so it wouldn't wrinkle (sorry I didn't take a picture of that application).


I repeated the decal process on all four ornaments, and aside of some difficulties getting the decals on straight, the ornaments turned out positively Grinchy!




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile