Showing posts from January, 2021

Alcohol Ink Glass Plate Backed with White Spray Paint

I'm working my way through an old box of stuff I bought from the dollar store, and I found this plain glass plate. I think I bought it at the same time as when I used flamed ink to decorate a plate almost 2 years ago, so it was definitely time for me to use it for some kind of project. I decided it I would ink it, but this time, I would use only Pinata inks (and I would spray paint it). The Pinata brand inks are a bit more saturated in color than most alcohol inks, so I figured they would work well on glass. Transparent surfaces, like clear glass plates, can sometimes be hard to achieve vibrant inking results. The colors can sometimes appear so translucent that they don't even show up. So I got out all my Pinata ink colors, a craft mat , some rubbing alcohol , a pipette , and a can of air . I started out with some magenta and blue. I dripped a few drops around the plate and then used the canned air to spread them out. The Pinata inks don't spread much without being thinn

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink Light Switch Plates

I've inked my fair share of light switch covers . It's a fun small project to add a little pop of color to a room, and plastic light switch covers are pretty cheap. I still had a bag of light switch covers leftover from the past time I inked them and, well, this pandemic has put a dent in my stash of stuff to ink, so I looked at them and thought...hmmm, what could I do that I haven't done yet. Over the course of the last year, I've been plastic wrap inking all the things. It's such a fun and fast alcohol ink method! I hadn't tried it on light switch covers yet, we go. I rolled out a craft mat and a sheet of plastic wrap. I gathered up some colors of alcohol ink that were on the cooler side of the rainbow (no red, orange, yellow, it wouldn't turn my greens brown). I dripped ink onto my plastic wrap and totally forgot to take a picture of it before I plopped the light switch covers onto the ink. I scattered the ink around the plastic wr

Alcohol Ink Mason Jar Revisit

Three or so years ago, I inked the inside of a mason jar that I had lying around. I put the jar on my kitchen window sill pretty much immediately after inking it, and there it sat for 3 years. I loved to watch how the colors changed depending on the light in the window. Well, alcohol ink fades in the sun, so it needed a refresh. The colors had been bright blue and aqua and had faded. (My etched bird candle holders have lived on the window sill for quite some time too, with their heads turned permanently towards the colorful jar.) In addition to the fading, some of the ink had turned grainy. I'm guessing it was what was left over after the lighter areas of ink had faded. So the first thing I did was use a pipette to drip a little bit of rubbing alcohol into the jar to reactivate the inks. I turned the jar and let a little run out onto a napkin. I wanted to make sure I wasn't just adding ink over top of the grainy looking bits. After I had the ink free flowing again, I turned

2020 Best of the Blog

To say that this year has been unusual would be an understatement. When I found out I'd be home, well, pretty much all the time, I figured I'd be doing more crafting. But, somehow, there was always something else to do. I did manage to get some awesome crafts completed this year, so I thought I'd share my most popular posts and a couple that I think turned out well that haven't been getting as much love. 1. Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Bowl This little rainbow inked bowl turned out amazing and earned the most views this year. 2. Making a Fabric Olson Face Mask  and Modified Olson Mask Tutorial My tutorials for creating the Olson face mask came in at #2 and #3 this year.  3. Alcohol Ink Laminator Pouch Sun Catchers These cute suncatchers came in as the next most popular post this year. They also inspired several subsequent projects (after I learned it was possible to ink laminator pouches): Shamrock Sun Catchers , Pumpkin Sun Catchers , Jack-o-lantern and Leaf Sun