Gerber Daisy Wreath made with Alcohol Ink Colored Flowers


Last spring I saw an adorable simple gerber daisy wreath on pinterest. I knew it would be the perfect spring wreath, but I didn't want to have to buy bunches of different colored daisies, and most of the nice looking silk gerber daisies were not cheap.  So here I was, another spring had come, and I still wanted a cute spring wreath for my door, so I dug into my stash of leftovers and found some large white daisies, and I thought, I could color them--I've seen tutorials of using alcohol ink to dye silk flowers for cardmaking and scrapbooking, it shouldn't be too hard.  So, I had talked myself into it.


I had 5 white daisies, so I picked out 5 bright springy colors to dye them. I started with purple (because it's my favorite). I used a few drops of rubbing alcohol on my applicator before dropping 4 or 5 drops of alcohol ink on to the applicator to thin the ink down a bit and help it soak into the flower. Then I started stamping on a covered surface (I used a craft mat, but wax or parchment paper would work fine too). The ink soaks into the flower as you stamp, so just press down and rock the applicator a little bit and continue stamping. I had to reapply ink about 4 times to finish each flower. The last step was usually to run a line of alcohol ink right along the edge of my applicator so that I could get in tight along the center of the flower.


The flowers did lighten a bit as they dried, and if areas looked a bit too light after I was done, I went it and touched up just a bit.


So I colored my flowers, watermelon red, purple, orange, bright blue, and lime green (from the dockside picnic set and the summit view set) .  Probably not realistic, but certainly springy. I was pleased with the way they turned out.  I don't remember how much I paid for these flowers (I used them for another project years ago and they were just laying in a bin), but I'm sure it wasn't much, so I'm really happy that I was able to make these bright gerber daisies for next to nothing.


So after I had dyed the flowers, the next step was making a wreath.  I only had 5 flowers to work with, so I knew I needed to make a relatively small wreath.  I got out a cardboard box and traced a large plate.  When I cut it out, I went ahead and traced another plate that was smaller and left me a ring that was little over an inch wide.


After my cardboard ring was cut out, I used some black grosgrain ribbon that I picked up for a quarter on clearance to cover the cardboard ring.  I used a hot glue gun to secure the ribbon in place on the ends and added a dollop of glue every few inches to make sure the ribbon stayed put.


Then I laid out my flowers leaving a space for a bow.  I cut off as much of the stems as I could and glued them to the ring with some hot glue.  The flowers came with some trilobal leaves.  I decided to cut the leaves apart into a pair and a single leaf.  I alternated gluing the pair on one side and the single leaf on the other all the way around the ring.


When it was finished, I grabbed some black and white ribbon and made a double bow to fill the space that I had left open.  I managed to make my wreath just with stuff I had laying around at home, but as long as you had the alcohol ink (or stumbled upon a multi-colored and inexpensive bunch of gerber daisies) you could easily make the wreath for less than $5. Such a great inexpensive pop of color for the front door!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile