3D Printed Faux Stained Glass Cardinal

I was browsing Thingiverse looking for things to print when I had the idea that I could make a faux stained glass suncatcher using UV resin. So I went looking for stained glass frames that I could fill, and found that someone went to the trouble to design a few of these lovely faux stained glass birds--including designing the "glass" pieces to snap into the frame. So I figured I had to try it out. I selected the cardinal because it was only two colors (and they were two colors that I had).

I printed the frame in black pla. The instructions suggested using 100% infil for the interior "glass" pieces (so you couldn't see the infil pattern--unless that's the look you're going for). I opted to set all the pieces to 100% infil and standard resolution (.2). The frame section took about an hour and a half to print on our printer.

This print was pretty easy except that there were 10 separate pieces that needed to be printed. Our printer has a tough time with bed adhesion when printing multiple pieces (especially small ones), so I opted to print each one on its own. I still ended up running into a few issues. The smallest piece is tiny. I had to print it twice because the first time there was a stray piece of plastic on the nozzle and it just got drug away. I also had a problem with the file names being too long on two of the pieces and the Ender 3 v. 2 acted as if they didn't exist. Otherwise, all of the pieces were printed in red pla and each printed in 15 minutes or less. So even though it was a bit of a pain to print all those separate files, the project came through fairly quickly.

All of the pieces printed pretty cleanly (aside from the tiny one under the beak that I had to print twice). The instructions said you might have to use a flat head screwdriver to get the pieces to pop into place, but I did not have that experience. The pieces went in easily and were a bit loose. One of the pieces falls out with a gentle tap, so I'll likely have to glue them into place.

Even with needing to use a couple dots of super glue, this project came out really cool! The 100% infil is pretty solid, and it was a dreary day when I finished up the print, so I don't know what kind of a suncatcher it will turn out to be, but it sure does look nice as is.


Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces