DIY Fall Wreath
Michael's had a sale a while back on wreath forms...a long while back...like a year ago. This grapevine wreath cost me $1.99 last fall. I knew I wanted to make a fall wreath that I could use before and after Halloween. So I picked up 3 bunches of different colored chrysanthemums at Walmart for 94 cents a piece and a fall inspired ribbon. Then I picked up an assorted fall bunch at Michael's that included berries, leaves, a pumpkin and a pinecone. This one bunch was on sale for $1.49.
So for under $10 I was able to whip up this wreath. I laid out my flowers and other items where I thought they looked nice and then glued them down with a hot glue gun. This is my second wreath using silk flowers--however I'm no stranger to wreath making--but one thing that I've learned from working with silk flowers on wreaths is to buy bunches that have different sized flowers if possible. I wish there were even more variety in the sizes of the chrysanthemums I used on this wreath. If all of the flowers are the same sizes, it looks a bit boring and makes the flowers look even more fake. The other important thing I've learned is that wreath making isn't hard--it's mostly just laying things out where they look good--the hardest part is knowing when to stop. Before I made this wreath, I looked at pictures of a bunch of fall wreaths online to figure out how I wanted to balance the "white space" of the wreath. I think it turned out pretty well. I'm not completely sold on the bow, but it's not glued on, so I can change it later if I find one I like better. Happy Fall!