Earlier this year I got on a bit of a galaxy spray paint kick. I sprayed composition notebooks and chipboard boxes and some dollar store altar candles. The process was pretty simple--spray it black and then swipe stripes of other galaxy-ish and nebula-ish colors over the top. I was really satisfied with the way they turned out (hence the three different projects). But for some reason the candles always looked a bit flat to me. So I decided to add some stars.
I started out with my spray painted altar candles. I grabbed some tiny paint brushes and some craft paint and a paper plate. As I was assembling my supplies, I decided to go searching for nail-heads that would make good star-like dots.
I raided my stash of hardware supplies and tested out a round bamboo toothpick, several nails, and my two tiny paintbrushes. I ended up really liking the first few that I tested. The toothpick and a finishing nail made nice tiny little dots. The more you tapped the paint on the surface, the smaller the dots got.
I wasn't really sure how I was going to go about clustering my stars, so I just started dotting them on. If it was too uniform, it looked like polka dots, so I tried to keep the size and spacing random, but opted to create a diagonal stripe across the candle--sort of a belt of stars.
The process of dotting the stars took both hands, so I didn't take much for in process shots. When I was nearly finished, I made some tiny dots off in the distant blank areas and then set them aside for a few hours to dry.
The dot stars really jazzed up my candles and the process of using nail heads to create dots was a fun one I hadn't tried before. Now I just need to figure out what needs the starry sky treatment next!