Monday, January 22, 2018

Fired Alcohol Ink on a Mirror Plate


Last week I tried setting fire to my alcohol inks for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised by the results. So after a trip to Dollar Tree provided some mirrored candle plates, hubby asked what I thought they would look like if I fired the ink on them too. I couldn't get the idea out of my head, so I just had to try it!


Just like last week, I cleared off a heatproof surface (my stove top with an old cookie sheet on it) and cleaned the surface off (this time with glass cleaner and then with rubbing alcohol). I grabbed my alcohol inks, some 90% rubbing alcohol, and an eye dropper. After I had all of my supplies out, I cleared them all off of the stove top and out of the way of any future flames.


I grabbed a few colors of ink and dripped them so that I had ink covering most of the surface. I learned from my trial run on the tile last week that you need more ink and rubbing alcohol on the surface than you'd think to keep the flame burning across the surface.


After I covered it in ink, I dropped on some rubbing alcohol with the eyedropper. Then I set it on fire with a long-handled lighter. It achieved a pretty good flame across the surface this time, so I was excited for the flame to go out so I could examine the results.


But it was fairly blah. I'm not sure if it was the ink colors I chose or the reflective qualities of the mirror, but it definitely needed more contrast.


So, I got to work adding ink and rubbing alcohol and setting it on fire in little sections. I even ended up dripping just a drop or two of ink on and lighting it on fire immediately. This seemed to work fairly well, and I was happy with the more precise results it offered.


After more ink and rubbing alcohol and more fire, I was fairly pleased with how it turned out. It's really hard to get a photo of the ink on the mirror. They always come out looking blurry. In person, it looks more reflective than blurry. It definitely looks different than any other surface I've tried to ink.


All in all, I'd call this second foray into fired alcohol ink a success. It turned out pretty cool (or hot...pun intended :)). I hope to refine my methods with fire and keep finding new surfaces I can try it out on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment